Where It All Began

|
Spencer and I have decided to start a blog to keep track of our engagement and the relationship leading up to it. I will be writing in this color, showing my awesome femininity and he will be writing in navy blue to represent his masculinity. :) This first post will be about how we met and where everything started between the two of us, my version, then his. 

Spencer will more than likely start out with some explanation of how we really met, but I like to peg it to January 30th. Our singles ward was having an ice cream social. I wasn't planning on going, I had gone through a nasty break up and had been feeling very anti-social for a couple of months. But I decided I would go anyways. Shayla was the main reason that I went, I didn't want to abandon her all by herself, and plus, ice cream!

Shayla, however, kind of abandoned me to go fulfill some calling or something... So I was left to socialize with the people I had been so keen on avoiding. Not that I didn't like them, I had just detached myself from them and was now trying to get back into the social scene. That was when I saw Spencer standing across the gym, wearing his big winter coat that he looks amazing in. I meant to meander around and eventually make my way to him, but meandering turned into making a bee line straight to Spencer. We even joked about it once I got to him. Maybe that's why I went straight to him, because he seemed to know I was going to him anyways.

I didn't want to linger too long. A girl I knew had just gone on a date with him and she told me about it. I didn't want to step on her toes, so after a few pleasant exchanges, we parted. The only problem was that I couldn't stay away! I kept thinking, "Talk to different people, Samm, there are more guys and [this girl] has dibs." However, this girl and him didn't talk too much that night, and I subconsciously considered him free game after he chose to continue his conversation with me over his conversation with her. I kept leaving to talk to others but for some reason, I kept finding myself by Spencer, which inevitably sparked more great conversations. I even called Laura telling her who I had talked to and who I thought I was falling for. Our conversations flowed so easily, it was like we had known each other for years. 

Afterwards, he came up to me and asked if I knew about the after party at a friends house. I told him I knew about it and asked him if he was going. Of course, he turned the question around and asked if I was going, which I read loud and clear as "I'm not going if you aren't." So he asked where it was, I tried to give him directions, but we came to the conclusion just to go together. :) We spent the rest of the night playing games and enjoying each others company. We went back to the church building so he could get his truck. He got out, but then bent back over to talk about Lost. I knew he was just coming up with excuses to see me again soon, but I was trying to come up with excuses myself. I knew I wanted to spend time for him. He brought up watching Lost and I jumped on the opportunity. He asked for my number after saying, "I know this is totally cheesy and not smooth at all, but I need your number." So I grinned thinking this guy is cute, making his intentions known that he wants to be more than just friends, and I gave him my number. :) We started dating on February 7, 2010. We had hung out several times, gone on what he considered dates, I considered hanging out that swiftly turned to dates, and figured that we didn't want to be with anyone else, so we made it official. Pretty quick pace, but I've never regretted it!  Okay, Spence, your turn.

Geez, Samm, you writing a book?

So she probably said something about us meeting at the ice cream social in January. Not true. We met 3 years ago when I used to meet up with other people from the branch (it was a branch back then it was so small) on Saturday mornings to play soccer and occasionally ultimate frisbee. She and her younger brother Nathan come out to play ultimate frisbee with us one morning and THAT'S when we met. Samm never attended the branch when I was first there, and it wasn't too long before the school year had wrapped up and I was back in Dallas, preparing to go on my mission.

Post mission, I come back to school starting in January. We were having this ice cream social at the end of January, which I'm sure she talked about, and I was recently called to the ward activities committee. As a part of fulfilling my duties to said calling, I went out beforehand and got balloons, helped set up and was assigned to work a table of toppings. I had the EXTREME table, and let me tell you, I had the grossest things you would ever put on ice cream: doritos and pickles.

I think I had maybe three visitors to my table, and they were only there to fill up a bowl of doritos, and not for their ice cream. I dont blame them, that would just be gross. So the ice cream eating part is winding down and throughout this, I get bored of just standing there and not doing much, so I grab my bowl and start talking to some of the people that were in the branch before I left on my mission. I wasn't really branching out and talking to new people.I thought I would eat what I was trying to get everyone else to try, so I grabbed a pickle and make a huge scoop of ice cream complete with all the toppings, throw it on the pickle and eat it. Let me tell you, it was one of the most disgusting combinations of normally, and separately decent foods I have ever eaten. 

I convince myself to be a little bit more social that night and continue to mingle with other people, in doing such I was re-introduced to Samm. The other conversations I was trying to have to not be just talking to Samm would eventually die down. I would walk away but would quickly notice I was walking right back to Samm, I just felt drawn to her, I didn't know why but I wasn't going to fight it. Anyways, this happens multiple times and I start to realize that there's something there. She was just so easy to talk to, I felt like I had known her for years!

Somehow, I find out that theres an post-activity gathering at a guy's house from the ward that I didn't know how to get to. I asked her if she was going and she said yes, so I said I would just follow her over there but end up deciding on just riding together. Later, after the game night on the ride home, I somehow made mention that another friend of mine had introduced me to Lost and that I was really getting into it. As I was getting ready to get out of her car, I mentioned that I was catching up and thought it would be cool if we watched it together. 

Being the goof that I am, I layed on the cheese and said that I would need her number so that we could get the details down and so I could give her directions to my apartment. She laughed at me, but gave that big, beautiful, sheepish grin that I have come to love so much, and we exchanged numbers. We saw each other practically every night that week and decided that we wanted to be official, so we started "dating" on February 7, even though I thought we were that whole week in between then and the ice cream social the weekend before.

0 comments:

Post a Comment